It was built in 1891 at the location Fanari of the cape Armenistis, approximately 5 km northwest of Chora. Its construction was decided after the British steamboat VOLTA sank causing the death of 11 members of the crew in 1887 on the north coast of Mykonos. The tower rises up to 19 meters and it has a focal height of 184 meters. The mechanism of the original lamp was made by SAUTER LEMONIER and functioned at the top of the lighthouse until 1983. Since then part of it is kept in the garden of the Aegean Maritime Museum, at the area Three Wells, in Chora.
Mykonos is an island with rhythm, intensity and pulse. It triumphs in the light, but also in the dark. And it is true that they say about Mykonos: you will either love it or hate it. The day worships its treasures and bathes the island generously in light. The night the scenery changes: Mykonos has been a leading nightlife force …Continue reading